Monday, September 12, 2011

Working, But Not At Work

Okay, today I had this teapot thing on my mind, so much so that I skipped out of work to well, work on it.
It wasn't exactly planned like this, but that's how it worked out.
Anyways, today I got to the wheels and treads.
The wheels were done from pieces of coil, smushed down:




I then used the handle of a fettling knife to press in the rim design, and then I assembled them together:




To make the treads, I just rolled a coil out and went over it with a dowel, just like a rolling pin.
Here's the mock up of the wheels with treads:



I wasn't too worried about the finish of the wheels up on top for I was going to cover them with a huge fender.
I just rolled out a slab, let it set up a bit, then cut it to size.
Here's the slab and using the cut off parts to make the sides:




I worked the slab on the thick side for it has to support the weight of the teapot, which will be mounted on top.
Sort of.
Anyways, the finished tracked portion:




I also had time to do the spout and the handle/exhaust.
The spout and the handle are figurative, there just to suggest a teapot.
I still need to do a lid as the one I threw today didn't work out.
The clay is beginning to dry out, so fitting the lid will be problem as now I have to figure in shrinkage:



The spout thingy and handle were thrown off the hump and put on the side to set up.
I still need to do some other fru-fru stuff before I put everything together, which hopefully will be tomorrow.
I still haven't decided how I'm going to attach the top the bottom, but I have some ideas:



That's a mock up of the joint I did, but I don't think I'm going with it.
Instead, the connecting thingy will be one piece, for strength.
We'll see what I come up with tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment